We frequently rely on the professional advice and services of others, both in business and in our personal lives. Unfortunately, if that advice or those services are not up to an acceptable standard, it can have a significant negative effect, including the potential to cost you a lot of money.
If a professional has let you down, we can help you take the necessary steps to seek redress, including getting compensation to cover your financial losses. We can help you quickly establish whether you have a strong case and then guide you through all of the necessary steps to get a fair outcome.
When we take on your case, our aim is to achieve a positive result for you as quickly and cost-effectively as possible, with minimum hassle. In most cases, there is no need to go to court to claim professional negligence compensation as we can usually agree a settlement through negotiation, mediation and other non-confrontational methods.
Over the past 30 years, our professional negligence lawyers have successfully recovered compensation for a wide range of clients in claims against many difference types of professionals. We work with people throughout Rhonda Cynon Taff and the surrounding area, as well as across the rest of South Wales.
Speak to one of our friendly, expert professional negligence claims solicitors today by contacting your local Devonalds office.
Our professional negligence claims service
The term ‘professional’ is very broad and whether a substandard service you have received falls under the definition of ‘professional negligence’ may not always be immediately obvious.
It is worth bearing in mind that there is usually a 6-year time limit for bringing most types of professional negligence claims, although this will depend on the exact circumstances and type of professional involved.
Our professional negligence solicitors in Bridgend and Rhondda Cynon Taff can help you with professional negligence claims against a wide range of professionals, including:
- Financial advisors
- Insurance brokers
- Tax consultants
How we resolve professional negligence claims for you
There is a protocol set out by the Ministry of Justice for pursuing professional negligence claims with the goal of avoiding court action wherever possible. There protocol involves various steps designed to allow claims to be resolved as quickly as possible.
- Preliminary notice – The first step is to inform the person you intend to bring a claim against. We will write to them briefly outlining your grievances and indicating the financial value of the claim.
- Letter of Claim – We will then write to them with more specific details of the claim, including exactly how you believe their service was negligent, all the relevant facts to support your claims, how the professional’s mistake or mistakes resulted in specific losses, and an estimate of those losses.
- Letter of Acknowledgement – You should receive written acknowledgement of the claim from the defendant within 21 days of their receiving your letter of claim. If they do not respond within this time limit, we will follow this up for you and ensure the process progresses.
- Investigations – The defendant has a time limit of 3 months from the time they send their letter of acknowledgement to investigate and respond to your claim.
- Letter of Response/Letter of Settlement – Following their investigations, the defendant should issue a written response. In this, they should either accept your claim and offer a settlement, or set out why they do not accept the claim.
- Claimants response – At this point, we will advise you on whether we feel any settlement offered is acceptable and, if not, or if the defendant does not accept your claims, we will advise you on your next steps. This may involve us negotiating with the defendant or their lawyers on your behalf, a meeting with the defendant to agree a solution, or court action if this is the best or only option to achieve a positive outcome.
This protocol is for use in claims against most types of professionals, however, there are different protocols for construction professionals (the Construction and Civil Engineering Disputes protocol) and for healthcare professionals (the pre-action protocol for the Resolution of Clinical Disputes).
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) for professional negligence claims
If the professional you are making a claim against does not accept liability, or you cannot agree a settlement, there are various options for resolving this without going to court.
Our dispute resolution solicitors are highly experienced in negotiating with various professionals and their legal representatives and can often achieve a positive outcome quickly. We also offer a professional mediation service, allowing you and the professional you are claiming against to sit down together and talk the matter through so you can find a mutually acceptable solution.
Our commitment to non-confrontational methods means we can usually resolve professional negligence disputes faster and at a lower cost, without the stress for you of going to court and with the added benefit of keeping the matter private.
However, where we believe court action is the best or only solution, our professional negligence solicitors have the experience and expertise to present your case in the strongest way possible case, giving you the best chance of a fair outcome.
Why choose Devonalds professional negligence solicitors?
Our professional negligence lawyers have been helping clients seek redress for mistakes made by a wide range of professionals for decades. We have an exceptional track record of successful claims, with the expertise and experience to make the process run as smoothly and quickly as possible.
We know how frustrating pursuing these matters can be, so offer a calm, empathetic and practical approach designed to give you complete confidence that your claim is being dealt with effectively.
We promise to keep you in the loop every step of the way and answer any questions you have in plain English, so you are never left wondering what is going on or how your claim is progressing.
Get in touch with our professional negligence claims solicitors in Bridgend, Rhondda Cynon Taff and the surrounding area
If you have suffered a loss due to a substandard service from a professional, our solicitors will help you claim compensation. Find out more about starting a claim by contacting your local Devonalds office.